Monday, March 29, 2010

Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells

Frozen spinach is a great bargain at the grocery store. Just think of all of the bags of fresh spinach it would take to wilt down and fit into a 10-oz. frozen box of spinach. A lot! This recipe is a great way to sneak spinach into your diet. My husband even ate it! I made him some without the spinach, but he said that the ones with the spinach were just as good! If you have a small family, go ahead and make this whole recipe. Cook half now and freeze the other half of the shells for later. Freeze the stuffed shells (without the sauce) and then store in a zippy bag. Top with sauce and cheese before baking. You could use Italian sausage, ground beef or Jimmy Dean like I did. Change it up to use what you have on-hand!



1 box jumbo pasta shells (I didn't use the whole box)
1 lb. Italian sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
1 15-oz. container ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 10-oz. box frozen spinach
3/4 cup shredded or diced carrots (I forgot these!)
1 26-oz. jar spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 X 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.

In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon. Drain. Thaw spinach in the microwave. Squeeze out all excess liquid.

In a medium bowl, stir ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, spinach, carrots and sausage (I was going to cook the carrots with the sausage to soften, but I forgot!)

Spread about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce over bottom of baking dish. Fill the shells with the cheese sausage mixture. Arrange shells, filled side up, on sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over stuffed shells. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted.



Enjoy!



(adapted from Eat Better America 2010 Calendar)



2 comments:

  1. Alaina, I made this recipe w/ the classico (caramelized onion and roasted garlic)pasta sauce that Publix had BOGO. I left it meat free. I also used a mixture of cottage cheese (didn't have ricotta), parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses. And, I didn't have jumbo shells so I used rotini pasta! Anyways, the spinach with the caramelized onion and roasted garlic was awesome! Thanks for all of your recipe ideas! Teal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made stuffed shells this afternoon and followed this recipe very loosely. For the amount of work it was vs the love that it got, I don't think it's going to be on my list of go-to recipes. Certainly nothing against the recipe itself, I think I just didn't do a good job!

    Even though I followed the package directions, the shells were underdone. I used morning star farms sausage patties (cut up into pieces) and didn't have any carrots. I didn't use nearly enough shredded cheese, and used twice as much spinach as called for.

    It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't great either. I'm also not a fan of standing at the kitchen counter and stuffing shells. :)

    ReplyDelete